Friday, April 11, 2003

The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
George F. Will


I am a pessimist. I am also a procrastinator. But, take note, I am a pessimistic, procrastinator who is never late! (Unless outside forces take me prisoner). I'm always the last one dressed when a night out is on the docket. I never pack for a trip until the last minute and I put off paperwork until it just has to be done. I really don't think this is a bad thing, but someday I'd like to know what it feels like to have time to do things that I want to AFTER necessary things are done rather than doing the things I want to do BEFORE doing those that are necessary. I'm wondering if there is a difference?

One of the things I procrastinate about is making phone calls. It's sort of like getting up in the mornings, you know you have to, and once you are up things are fine, but it's the actual "putting your feet on the floor" that is the hard part. I love talking to my friends when they call me, and I enjoy our conversations if I am the one to dial them up, but the action of finding the phone and dialing the number is where I balk. Then there are the necessary calls that one has to make,, to the phone company for the 50th time about a noisy phone line, or to the bank about that unrecognized debit to your account,,,when I finally reach a human after pressing buttons for what seems like hours, I am put on hold again so that they can transfer me to another department who also puts me on hold. I do not LIKE being put on hold. They should realize the determination, the courage it took for me to pick up the phone to MAKE the call. How dare they put me on hold!! And then, when at last the human, who is supposed to have the answers, comes to the phone, I find myself repeating, for the umpteenth time, what the problem is. By this time, I am not human.

No comments: