Saturday, April 19, 2003

After my chat with Katrina yesterday (which was MUCH needed by the way), I thought back to where I was at her age. At that time, I was the mother of a 13 yr old, a 6 yr old, and a 5 yr old. I was insane. I worked 75 to 100 hours a week, had a huge garden, helped with homework, did what housework I had time to do, paid all of the bills, and I can't remember much of anything about that time other than those things. But now that I think about it, there was nothing else to remember other than that. I functioned. I wouldn't wish that sort of life on my worst enemy!!

Marriage and a family were things one was expected to accomplish when I was growing up. Having come from a totally dysfunctional family, I probably tried as hard as anyone ever had to make sure my children grew up in as normal a family setting as was possible.
I didn't realize then how much more difficult things would be for me than they had been for the June Cleavers of the 50's and 60's. It was now impossible for mommy to stay at home with the babies while daddy went out and made a living for them. I had to work so that we could eat and pay the bills at the same time. This was a necessary thing, I understand that, but daddys still seemed to live by the old rules. They went to work, came home, and their day was done. Such was not true for mommys. Going to work was the highlight of their day!! The real work started when they came home.

Things have changed even more these days, women have choices and this is a good thing. I'm jealous, but I am cheering them on,,,,every step of the way.

No comments: