Thursday, May 01, 2003

My daughter, Zach's mother, visited yesterday with Zach's 3 little sisters. We retired to the deck where our neighbor joined us and we chatted while watching the children playing and Jami told us of their week. I think I should first introduce you to my middle child's children.

Zachary is the oldest and the only boy. I call him Zach. He likes tractors or anything farm related, playing in the water and mud, and his Nanaw and Poppop. He has little patience for his little sisters, tolerates his mother, and takes his stepdad with a grain of salt. He is 6.

Krysten (Sissy) is next in line. She is a little blond with big blue eyes. She talks nonstop in the deepest southern accent I've ever heard from a child. She likes baby dolls and tea parties but will join her big brother in the mud and water play. Sissy keeps you in the know, she tattles, about everything! She is 4 1/2.

Meri Kathryn is number 3. I call her MeriKate. She looks just like her daddy except that she has dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. She is tiny and petite. She is living proof that looks can be deceiving. She has the respect of her older siblings and has instilled fear in the youngest. There is nothing she won't try. The family pets run and hide when she appears. She is 3.

Abigail is the baby. I call her Abie. She has blonde curly hair and blue eyes. She is the sweet child and has learned to go with the flow. If the others take away a toy, she's perfectly happy finding another and will go on doing her thing. Her temper rarely flares up without massive provocation. She instinctively knows when to run and hide in mommy's lap to avoid MeriKate. She is 2.

While listening to Jami, I came to know that the girls were all pretty good last week except for MeriKate. In just one day she tried to give the cat a bath in the toilet and dry him in the dryer. Jami is thankful that she doesn't know how to turn on the dryer yet. The only other thing that happened to make her nervous was waking up to find all 3 of the girls (they had gotten Abie out of her crib too) at 2 am, in the living room watching their Scooby Doo movie when they were supposed to have been in bed asleep since 9 pm.

During this conversation I thought of all the times that I told my children that I hoped they'd have 5 kids each,,JUST like themselves. I'm wondering now if I cursed them?

No comments: