Wednesday, May 14, 2003

One day last year at the tax office I was preparing a return for a little old guy. I'd finished everything and was waiting for the printer to spit out the papers for our signatures.

The little man had been sitting there quietly waiting. All of a sudden he stood up and reached across my desk, towards me. My desk was in a back corner of the room with a wall behind me, but I had enough room that I scooted back some. He kept reaching towards me, swatting at me with his hand. I backed up a little more. Now people, ALL sorts of things were running through my mind during this time, the main thing being, what the HELL is he doing? Finally my chair was against the wall so I stood up and at that very moment he LUNGED across my desk and hit me across the chest. At the very second that he did this, I saw something fall and land on the floor at my feet. A HUGE, GIANT, SPIDER. The next thing I was aware of was being on the floor, against the wall, with the little man patting my face, asking me if I was alright. I fainted. I don't know if it was from fear of the spider, or fear of the man, or a combination of both but it was the only time in my life I've ever fainted.

When I got home later that night I told my hubby that the flight or fight instinct was bullshit, fuck,,, I faint.

No comments: