Sunday, September 28, 2003

More on Saturday

While I was in Little Rock yesterday, I made a quick trip to one of the shopping centers there and found two new books to read and a few scrapbooking supplies. As I was going to my truck in the parking lot a man carrying a backpack walked up to me and told me that he and his wife were hitchhiking to S.C. and they were out of money and hungry.

When I got back to my daughter's, I was telling she and my son about this man and they wanted to know how much I'd given him for his drug or drinking habit. They know I can't stand the thought of someone being hungry. I listened to them fuss at me about giving money to strangers, and then I asked them,

"What if that had been Jesus?"

Although I hate the thought of contributing to a drug or alcohol addiction, I was not in a position to buy the man a meal or give him food, and that thought is always in the back of your mind, what if he really IS hungry.

I listened to the arguments about the social programs and stuff available, but don't you have to have a permanent address for things such as food stamps or checks? What happens if you don't have a home and don't know where to go for help?

This is America. People should not have to be hungry or cold, but they are. It's a sad situation. What would you do?

No comments: