Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Death and Humor

I've just been over to Wanda's where I read her entry about John Ritter and the plans to continue the sitcom he'd been starring in at the time of his death. There are conflicting emotions from his fans about these plans but I think Wanda pretty much summed it up when she said he'd want things to go on. There is nothing funny about death, but I think you must keep your sense of humor during even the most trying times to prevent the sadness from taking over your life.

When my mother died a few years ago we were all gathered at the funeral home for the viewing. Tears were shed, friends came and went, and there in the midst of all of that was my mother looking better in death than she had in the last 10 years of her life. We were all sitting on sofas talking quietly when suddenly my aunt jumped up and said, "OH, don't do that, get away from there!" My niece and nephew and Zach, had crawled beneath the coffin and were happily playing. I just looked up at my aunt and told her to leave them, they weren't bothering anything, and told her to sit down and relax. I had to smile about it, they continued on with what kids do best even amid the room full of weepy grownups. And I don't think my mother minded one little bit!!

No comments: