Friday, July 04, 2003

Katrina sent this cute photo to my email today and it made me think of something my daughter-in-law, Jerri, told me today.

She has a female chocolate lab that she saved from her Lady's last litter before she died. Her cat, Momma Kitty, had kittens about 3 weeks ago and she noticed her crying and pacing one morning. Fearing that something had happened to her kittens, she went to the barn to see what was going on. There, on the bed of straw, was her lab, with all the kittens cuddled up around her. She was trying to nurse them! And it's really the oddest thing, the dog has never had puppies, but in her determination to take over the care of these kittens, she's started making milk!

Jerri said that she'd been in heat a few weeks ago and it's the only explanation she can think of for her odd behavior. Momma Kitty has accepted the fact that this lab is going to share in the raising of her babies. I expect this is due to her short stature!

No comments: