Monday, August 29, 2005

All cozy and safe here


current weather map

But those poor folks south of us are taking a beating right now.

I've been watching the weather on tv and on my puter and sending keep safe vibes down to John and Wanda who are coping with Hurricane Katrina. We'll get some of the weather off of this ole gal as she makes her way north but it'll depend on her track as to how much of the wind and rain we'll be having. It's the beginning of harvest time here and although my little acre needs a drink of water, the rice fields will suffer a big loss if we get too much rain, and especially, very much wind. The cotton harvest isn't too far off either so a lot of rain right now won't be a good thing for it.




Now, to answer the questions about the crappie we had for lunch on Saturday.

Crappie (pronounced croppie) are a fresh water, game fish that are plentiful in the lakes around here. The very biggest ones, that I've heard about, can weigh over 3lbs but I don't believe I own a frying pan big enough to cook one of those fellas. Most of the time James fillets them but we also like them fried whole (after scaling, gutting, and removing the heads). The flesh is white and flaky and soooooooooooo good!

9 comments:

David said...

That is a massive mother. Reminds me of Hurricane Carla which was our bad one when I was a kid. They will need a lot of help to recover.

Cotton fields are full here as well.

Joe said...

Hey girl, You forgot to tell how bonie they are! In Chicago the were so plentiful we used them for feterlizer! LOL! They are good but watch the boines! Schoois are close here today and tomorrow until Catrena passws through! So far we'r just geting some wind but are under a Tornado watch.

wanda said...

Hey Bren, no need to be concerned about us down here in Podunt. We've gotten a bit of rain and a few gusts of wind, but nothing we can't handle. On the other hand looks like Mississippi and southwestern Bama took the brunt of the storm. She's movin on up the border headed in Joe and TW's directions. I hope they'll be safe.

Holly said...

Had to go pick up the kids from school due to hurricane closings. We're no where close to getting direct Katrina issues.. but spinoff tornadoes are a worry.

I remember being a kid and catching bream and making my mom cook them for me. they were so tiny.. but she did it. god bless moms.

Anonymous said...

We're getting lots of evacuees here in north Louisiana, and the Red Cross desperately needs volunteers at various locations to assist in many ways. We'll be housing people at least through the week-end - possibly longer, as the clean-up in the N.O. area is projected to take weeks. If any of you live near the TX or AR border and can spare a little time, contact the Red Cross for the nearest evacuation sites. Everyone stay safe.

And Brenda, I love this blog more every time I read it. Thanks so much for keeping it up.

Anonymous said...

It's not that bad. Why did I sacrifice an entire night's sleep?

Anonymous said...

Cotton is so cool.

Anonymous said...

glad you will be safe out there. at least I hope you won't get to much rain.
I love that cotton picture!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're safe from the hurricane. Hope the rain isn't too much of a problem.