Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I'm Cranky and I Ain't Apologizing!

The House yesterday apologized to black Americans, more than 140 years after slavery was abolished, for the "fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality and inhumanity of slavery and Jim Crow" segregation.

In February, the Senate apologized for atrocities committed against Native Americans, and the body apologized in 2005 for standing by during a lynching campaign against African Americans throughout much of the past century. Twenty years ago, Congress apologized for interning Japanese Americans in concentration camps during World War II.



Dear Mr. President, and all your Underlings,

Please do not feel that you should add my name to the House's apology for slavery because I wasn't born then, my parents weren't born then, nor were my grandparents. I don't know much about my great-grandparents except that they were not slave owners, most probably better known as poor white trash back in those days.

I feel that more of your concern should be aimed towards educating some of these fine Americans here that feel their injustices from life come from not having enough given to them so that they can live beyond their means.

Segregation and slavery are things of the past, lets keep them there and move forward toward harmony in a world where the color of your skin, your religion, your stature,,, means only that you're of the human race.



*************************************************************************************

Cranky note number 2.

How many times can you see/hear the Hannah Montana concert on TV without losing your mind?

19 comments:

Amanda said...

I second Cranky number two!! ha-ha!
BTW i'm up for the next photo challenge. It will be fun :)
I hope you feel better getting all that of your mind!
l,
Amanda x

Carole Burant said...

Oh boy, I so agree with you about the apologies...time to move forward and let the past rest. Our government just recently apologized to the Native Canadians and I know that it won't stop there, it will keep going on and on.....

As for Hannah Montana, I've never watched anything she's been in...I guess it helps that I don't have a teen girl around here. lol xoxo

Debbie said...

I am SO ready to move forward! I just told my son last week that I raised him for 22 years to not be prejudiced and all that stuff and now that he's an adult they STILL won't let it go...

Well he damn well didn't hear it from ME!!

Crystal said...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! YOU GO GIRLIE!!!

Anonymous said...

Hanna who? HA..I'm old and don't give a sh*t who knows it:)

It might be time to accidently break the DVD player..??

Donna said...

OHMYGODINHEAVEN.....SORRY MIZ BRENDA...I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING.... You have Sincerely Made My Day!!!!
I say AH-MEN to Both complaints!!!
Hannah NO Longer hallows these walls!!!!!LOLOL....geez...hughughughughugs

Sally said...

Good for you Ms. Brenda. I second the emotion. As for Hannah; never have seen it, don't want to, and hope I never do. I actually fear for that young girl.

Ray Bridges said...

Just think how Milie Cyrus feels, putting on a wig and singing vapid songs? She's ready to move on, but in a newer version of slavery, she's under contract to the biggest child slaver ever: Disney. Bless her heart.

Donna said...

It's a political year, so all kinds of resolutions are going to get passed to cozy up with the electorate.

I'm not cranky, but I don't feel the need for any apology. My ancestors worked in coal mines (getting maimed and killed for nickles and dimes) and sweat shops. I'm not expecting any kind of apology for how they were treated. What is past is past. We live in an amazing county with countless blessings and freedoms. We need to be grateful.

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you. I'm not in the Hannah Montana stage with my grandbabies yet so I don't know much about it. I do watch the Aristocats about a hundred times a day though. LOL Your banner is so pretty and I love all you side photos. Gorgeous!!

zztop357 said...

My ancestors were Native American. I don't have the urge to have anyone apologize to me.LOL As for anyone else(not to mention any names)Tell the to go to school,learn English and get a job.I don't expect anyone to make my living for me, or give me free collage money.I paid my student loans back myself.
If you can't work, thats fine.But I don't have a slave and I'm not one.So they can shut up and go to work.
God bless Brenda,Thanks I really enjoyed this one. Donna

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. Enough with apologies to people that are no longer alive from people that didn't do the deed. Yeesh. How about directing their energy toward making sure there's no future prejudices? We can't change the past, but we can dang sure do something about the future.

Jeanette said...

Cranky note #1: Amen, sister!!

Cranky note #2: I've never seen it but you have my sympathy!!

Virginia Gal said...

I think the apology is more about recognizing, formally, from the government, that the US did something wrong in its past. There are countries out there that refuse to do that, and I think that is needed, for closure maybe?? I.e. some European countries that refuse to acknowledge their Nazi past.

As for Hannah - I don't get the appeal at all. But whatever floats the kids boat, hee hee.

Cindra said...

I just wrote about 150 words and then decided to just say... AMEN!

Anonymous said...

I right there with ya girl!!!
I live in Canada and find your government very amusing, Mr Bush gives us our daily dose of entertainment.

Apologize are useless and too little too late,but better than nothing ,but worth a big nothing.

It dosen't repair the damage or the hurt or injusdice or the prejudice that is still out there.
My son lived in Louisiana for a year, and he saw first hand how they are treated, he came back to us thanking his God he wasen't involved in such narrow small minded thinking.
Slavery has gone away but people still have that kind of mentality.Its a sad world we live in.
In Canada we don't hear much of Hanna Montana, so I have no opinion of her career.
That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Diane

The Hallman Tribe said...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

mreddie said...

Hannah is only one of the reasons that I can't stand to watch the Disney Channel - no matter what my "grands" think. :) ec

Louise said...

I'm with you on both counts!