Friday, March 04, 2005

I reckon I'm just lazy

And I'm still in a "mood" after the irritations of last week, and there's very little going on around here other than work and coming home to more work.

I came in from work the other night, with both arms loaded with groceries, to the sounds of Hubby and Zach groaning from hunger, and the bird bitching just because they were bitching. The scene didn't make for good blog fodder, I promise.

There is this little matter,

BC/AD or BCE/CE?

BCE stands for "Before the common era." It is eventually expected to replace BC, which means "Before Christ." CE stands for "Common Era." It is a relatively new term that is experiencing increased usage and is eventually expected to replace AD.

The reason for this?

Some theologians and other authors felt that non-religious, neutral terms like CE and BCE would be less offensive to the non-Christian majority. Forcing a Hindu, for example, to use AD and BC might be seen by some as coercing them to acknowledge the supremacy of the Christian God and of Jesus Christ.

I don't know about ya'll but the entire idea is offensive to me. The very basis that our Country was built on is being shattered because our history and our culture is offensive to a few who chose to come here. When a U.S. citizen visits another country with a different culture, are we not expected to respect their ways in order not to offend?

It offends me that prayer is not allowed in our schools or our courts. I offends me that a few would dare to complain because our Pledge of Allegiance includes reference to a Christian God. I believe in separation of church and state in that politics shouldn't be preached from the pulpit but we're allowing things to get way out of hand and I'm wondering where things will end up if they continue this way.

No comments: