Wednesday, December 03, 2003

I feel like Scrooge but...

It's been several years since I could stand to listen to Christmas music. On December 12, 1984 my father's mother died. My grandmother Willhite held a large chunk of my heart. I adored her.

The call came when I was finishing at work for the day to tell me that she'd been taken to the hospital. I called my family to tell them I was leaving to drive to the hospital and jumped in the car. I can remember saying over and over, "please, please, don't go until I can say goodbye" and I remember every radio station was playing Christmas carols. The one about grandma being run over by the reindeer seemed especially cruel and I've hated that song ever since.

I didn't make it there in time to say goodbye and I've always felt sad about that.

No comments: