Monday, December 08, 2003

50 Years of Playboy

Did anyone see the 50th Anniversary Playboy Party last night on A&E? It was purely accidental that I happened to watch it but I found it interesting.

Old Hugh started the Playboy magazine in 1953 with $600.00. That doesn't seem like a lot of money these days but back in 1953 I expect it was a small fortune for a lad from the streets of Chicago.

Anyway, back to the party. It was a big bash with a loads of celebs attending. Reverend Jessie Jackson even stopped partying long enough to give his congratulations and to tell the audience what Playboy meant to him. The music was good but I gotta tell ya, those bunnies were so busy posing for the cameras that panned across the room that they couldn't keep in time with the music. I never saw a sorrier bunch of dancers in my life!! I kept thinking that they should have drank a few more mimosas or something so as to smooth out those jerky, out of step, moves.

The January 2004, 50th Anniversary playmate didn't impress me much either. Colleen Shannon has that collagen-lipped look that just screams fake so you wonder what other assets might be enhanced on her. I think Barbie Benton looked a hell of a lot better and as far as bunnies go, she's over the hill and through the woods.

A lot of the celebs were asked where and when they saw their first Playboy magazine last night. How about it? Where and when did you see your first one and what was your impression at the time?

No comments: