Monday, August 28, 2006

Jilly Beans and the Post Office snake

Jerri called a few minutes ago to tell me that they were just leaving the emergency room and Jillian is going to be the one to follow in her Daddy's footsteps.

Jerri does a lot of buying and selling on Ebay so she was at the post office this morning to mail some packages. Alexis and Jillian were looking at some Mickey Mouse packaging stuff while she was taking care of business. Jerri felt a tug at her waist and Alexis said, "Momma, Jillian has a snake." Jerri thought she'd said "sack" and turned around to take it from the baby and there was Miz Jilly Beans, with a big grin, holding a snake that was about a foot long and the circumference of a pencil which was wrapped around her arm and neck. Jerri grabbed the baby and asked a man standing in line if he'd help her get the snake away and he just stared at her, so she said, "SHIT man, hold the baby and I'll get the snake off of her!" The postal workers just stood there saying, "Oh my god!" and never attempted to help. Finally the postmaster heard the commotion and came in AFTER they'd gotten the snake off of the baby and Jerri was stripping her clothes off to see if she'd been bitten. They found a spot of blood on her leg so off to the emergency room they went, taking the snake that another customer had stomped on when he came into the post office.

No one at the post office OR the hospital could identify the snake so Jerri called Bubbie, who's an old hand at being snake bit, to come identify the snake. He wasn't sure either but Jillian didn't have any swelling or redness at the site after 45 minutes so they felt that even if it was poisonous she didn't receive any venom. They also weren't sure if she'd been bitten, it could have been that she got a scratch in the scramble to get the snake off of her. Anyway, they're supposed to watch her closely for the next little while and Jerri probably has several new gray hairs after THAT close encounter.

We spent our share of time in the emergency room when Bubbie from the time he was 17 months old and Jillian already has that beat so poor Jerri had better get the doctor to prescribe something for her nerves now.

13 comments:

Joan said...

Good Lord!! A snake!! ewwwwww.

We have garter snakes around here, but I haven't seen on for years, and I'm glad!

Glad Jilly Bean is okay.

Special K said...

Someone has to say it, and it might as well be Samuel Jackson, "I'M TIRED OF THESE M'FING SNAKES IN THIS M'FING POST OFFICE!"

Anonymous said...

OMG I'm glad we don't have snakes in Belgium. I'm so glad the little one is ok. I can't believe those people that didn't help Jerri

Mary Lou said...

How in the HELL did she get a snake? ewwwww!

XENA!!! Queen of the DELTA!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! Yep, tell Jerri she might as well invest in some hair dye company now.

Carole Burant said...

I would have been so angry that nobody helped take the snake off the child...what's wrong with these people????? Glad that she seems to be ok...dread to think what could have happened!!

mreddie said...

Wow, you seem to have such exciting times over there - though I'm sure your heart could have done without this test. ec

Anonymous said...

I am not an easily excitable person..but this one did get my attention LOL I took the snake to the county agri office and they id'd the snake as a corn snake which is generally sold as a pet! actually at the hospital another patron if you will said that it looked like a pet store snake..so my question now is did the lil fella get lost in the mail LMAO or did he just sneak his way in from outside. instead of snakes on a plane out new arkansas movie is snakes in post office staring jillian of course!

TJ said...

WOW...I felt my blood pressure rise just reading this post!!!
Thank goodness she is ok...

David said...

Oh what's a little snake. I have been know to play with rattlesnakes and cottom mouths....

Can just see all the action you described. I think I would have laughed.

Andie Pandie said...

OMG. I can't even begin to imagine how scary that would be. Thank goodness she's ok!

Anonymous said...

Glad everything turned out alright, Brenda. We only have adders here which is bad enough. Snakes yeucccchhh!

Ray Bridges said...

Okay, you win. Best story of the day.