Friday, January 09, 2009

I'd Run Away but They'd Find Me!

Each weekday morning at around 6:45 during the school year, I hear my youngest daughter's car as she comes flying from a northerly direction on the gravel road that leads to my house. Seconds later I hear the slamming of car doors and then my morning head is bombarded with little girl noises.

These are mostly argumentative noises because one of them got the other one's jacket, or purse, or lip gloss, or for no rational reason at all, but quite often there are also crying or whining noises for most of the same reasons that I've already mentioned. These are the first noises that vibrate through my sleep muddled brain before they've even reached the porch.

The noises become much, much, louder as these three girls come slamming, tumbling, tripping, through the front door and the noise registers through my brain fog as being somewhat like the screeching sound of nails down a chalk board, or the irritating buzzing noise a fly makes in your ear when you're trying to take a nap, only multiplied by a thousand or so. The noise level increases a few more levels if one, or more, of them dares to make a remark to the Terrorist, who pretty much has the same bed head every morning as I do. They taunt, he retaliates, then the fight is on.

Some days I threaten, or beg, as I inspect them to see if they've each remembered to brush their hair, or brush their teeth, but sometimes I just can't deal with the noise or the inspections so I grab my cup of coffee, a cigarette, and hide away in my office, and try to close my ears to the sounds, the noises, until the school bus comes to pick up the noise makers.

Sometimes I want to change my identity from Momma, and Nanaw and escape to some far off place where no one knows me. Then I think, I wouldn't know who I was anymore, so I guess my identity, as it is now, is better than having none.

20 comments:

Jeanette said...

Oh, I think you would probably find yourself pretty quick, but then you would realize that Momma and Nanaw is just where you want to be! As long as you keep that office to escape to!

Anonymous said...

I often wonder if I drove my poor Mom crasy like that as a kid.... I probably did.
As long as you have a place to escape to its all ok right!!
Thanks for the smile !
Diane

Jeanne said...

hehe there's days and then there's DAYS huh Brenda. Had a week like that, just like to run away. But the workweek is done and now's the time to leave it behind. {{HUGS}}

Anonymous said...

It's weekend Brenda, try to relax :) btw, love the about me picture. I thought about you when I sat in that wheel last month.

LauraBelle said...

Lucky for me the I only have the two left at home *ages boy-14 & girl-12*, but man oh man, they can bicker! This is my second time around raising a family. These two are adopted, my first two grandchildren. Mom, my oldest daughter sadly isn't "in the picture" right now. Maybe someday again she will be.*sigh*

But!- when I've just had all I can take ... I retreat to the bathroom off our bedroom with a book! *I got clean/sober and quit smoking cigarettes 18 yrs ago* Hang in there! If I can do, so can you ~ *grinz*

Brenda said...

I think about you too Miz Tine, and of the wonderful time I had while visiting. I chose that for my profile pic on here because you caught me with my beloved camera. :-)

Sally said...

Would you please ask Donna what time the plane leaves. She IS paying for this right? hahaha

Joni said...

what a blessing to have these daily noises...trust me, a quiet house would make you crazier!

:)

Anonymous said...

I'd be hiding out, too, if I had to go through that every morning!

Brenda said...

Donna, Sally wants to know what time the plane leaves. :-)

Donna said...

HAHahaaa...I've been at the airport for over an hour Waiting on ya'll!!!!...Party Poopers!!!hughughugs

Brenda said...

I didn't wake up till 9:30 this morning. :-)

Attila the Mom said...

Let's run away together. Someplace warm with margaritas and cabana boys.

Kellan said...

Yes - I know this feeling only tooooooo well! I did love reading this post - felt like I was right there in the girly chaos.

Have a good weekend, Brenda - Kellan

Carole Burant said...

When my kids were little, I also babysat 4 other kids in the same age group and I remember well the noise level when they all came in and got ready to go to school. After they'd all left to get on the school bus, I'd sit there and think..."Was that a hurricane"??? lol I really don't know how you handle this, I bow down to you, oh mistress of chaos! hehe xoxo

Loretta said...

I remember Momma saying "I'm going to change my name from mama to whatever"...I understand now!! I go through the same thing you do in the morning getting my grandsons on the bus.

Sally said...

I must have been at the wrong airport; that's okay I wasn't alone. hahahaha

kimberly said...

i can so relate to the "escaping to some place no one know me"....when i was at the end of my rope with the five girls....i would tell my husband " i was leaving for texas, cuz i didn't know one soul that lived there!"...and that sounded wonderful to me! although i know that what jeanette said is true...that mom and nonnie is right where i want to be! :)

Sharon said...

My two are pretty good at bickering. I've farmed them off for a few days so I can get some quiet time to myself. Ahh :-) Though I can't wait for them to be back either,

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to your son!!

Thanks again for the laughs.