Saturday, July 07, 2007

Pooped!

We've sho' been havin' some fine vittles down here in redneck country.


Jerri and I washed, screwed through a manual strainer, and processed about 13 gallons of tomatoes today. We ended up with 12 quarts and 9 pints of juice. I'm thinking I may can a few jars of cubed tomatoes tomorrow, or I may wait until Monday cause my old butt is tired.

I sure do appreciate her grandmother for loaning us her food strainer! I've been looking at an electric one online and leaning towards buying one if hubby is going to keep growing this enormous amount of tomatoes every year. They've only just begun getting ripe so the major harvest isn't even here yet,

(Lord give me strength!)

7 comments:

Tammy said...

What I would give for that garden truck in that picture...
:)

Sally said...

Wow, those veggies look super duper. You guys sure work hard, but I know it's appreciated!

I LOVE me a mater sandwich. That pix makes me long for one....

Leslie said...

I ordered a big glass of mater juice at lunch the other day and Carl thought I was nuts. I used to drink it in beer, but that was many moons ago. I love it with lots of pepper stirred in.

Sounds like a whole pile of work for you guys with lots of rewards to reap in the end. : )

Anonymous said...

That's a long day! I vote for the electric strainer. We process about 20 quarts. And that's about it. I don't plant that many tomatoes in my little kitchen garden, and we manage to consume the rest.

Cas

AndiePandie said...

Oooo are those beans in the back there? Yummy!

Carole Burant said...

I always can my tomatoes so I know all the work that goes into it...I've never tried making juice with them though. Our tomatoes won't be ready until the end of August...we're wayyyy behind you! lol I so loved the pictures of the girls in their red, white & blue dresses, just darling:-) Hope you can relax today!! xox

Attila the Mom said...

I'm sooooo jellus!