Saturday, April 08, 2006

We keep dodging the bullet here.

Storms rumbled through the south again yesterday but this time the most severe of the storms were across the river in TN and MS. The death toll just keeps climbing in TN from the tornado strikes. I've lived most of my life in this part of the south and on several occasions I've within a quarter of a mile of where a tornado touched down but I've never actually seen one because we normally have so much rainfall during these bad storms that they're difficult to see unless one forms during the daylight hours before the rain begins. If I ever see one of those, I'll be sure to take a photo of it before I head for a safe hidey-hole. Since we also live in a rural area, there isn't as much damage to homes and lives as there is in the cities and towns.

For more information about this type of storm with some terrific photos.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The photos of those skies look so much like what we see up here in Alberta in the summer, too. I'm glad you guys are safe and sound. My heart sure goes out to all those who weren't.

Mary Lou said...

Do you have a storm cellar to run to? I dont know how you do it! I will live with my volcanoes thank you, At least they stay put!!

Special K said...

Hmmm. When I think about natural disasters in Alberta, nothing comes to mind, other than the odd bit of flooding. If anything, the most we see is drought, but not so much on the earthquakes, tornadoes (though they've been known to happen very, very occasionally) or hurricanes, thank God.

Yeesh. You stay safe down there, OK?

Andie Pandie said...

We've been having some nastiness too Brenda. I'll be thinking about you all! I'm having some wine so's I don't freak out too much. ;)

Anonymous said...

Nashville, sounds like, got hit pretty hard; at least the outskirts. We've got the warnings now, but no rain yet. We need the rain very badly, but not the other. I'm glad so far ya'll are safe.

Joe said...

I was up with my dogs most of the night ! They can't stand thunder! Have a good weehend girl!

Phyllis said...

I'm afraid I would be dead if I lived in your neck of the woods. I'd be out there chasing the storms looking for excitement!

Anonymous said...

I'm not at all like Phyllis, I wouldn't be chasing those storms, they would be chasing me cause I'm be leavin' town. Good to hear ya'll are all safe and sound. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I lived in an area that had tornados.

Holly said...

my husband will be in arkansas this week. i told him to wave when he passed the farm *smile*

bad weather here too. there was a tornado on the base (didn't touch down though, thank god.)

Joan said...

I hope you have your hiddy hole real close by when a storm hits, it only takes a second. I have been reading about all the stuff going on, it's wierd how the weather patterns change.