Thursday, February 14, 2008

Books

Bermudabluez
had a bookshelf on her site and I just had to have one for myself so I borrowed the idea from her (you can see mine if you scroll down a bit over on the right there). I've put my latest reads on there as well as the ones that are in line waiting to be read.

My love affair with books started back one summer when I was about 8 or 9 when Mom made us lay down for one of those dreaded naps. My nap spot for the day was on her bed, and since she had bookshelf headboard, she had a load of books there that I started browsing through. Not being a bit sleepy, I started reading Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs and when nap time was over I didn't want to put it down and I've had my "place" marked in one book or another ever since.

I just finished reading Duma Key by Stephen King. It's the story of Edgar Freemantle and his recovery from a terrible nightmare-inducing accident that stole his arm, ended his marriage, and started a weird and horrible adventure.

Stephen King has a way of writing that makes you feel like he's in your head, like the people in his story are you. His characters are easily identifiable, his story lines are spooky. Remember when you were a kid, in your bed, at night, and you're suddenly sure the dark shape over in the corner is someone standing there watching you? Or, how about being afraid to let your foot dangle over the side of the bed for fear that whatever is under there might grab it? THAT'S how Stephen King makes me feel,,, scared enough to hesitate before walking through the house in the dark. That's the only way I can think to describe his amazing talent and the reason I love his books.

Another author who makes me feel like a scared little kid again is Dean Koontz. I've probably read everything he's ever written but my favorite of his books is Phantoms. I wouldn't stay up reading that one at night if everyone else had gone to bed.

The latest book I've read by Koonz is on my shelf ovah there.

I'm currently reading A Child Called It/The Lost Boy, which is actually two books in one volume by Dave Pelzer. It's his story of growing up in a horribly abusive home and his struggle to make it through the foster care system.

I'm still trying to encourage Zach to read and have hopes that some day he'll pick up THE book that will open his mind and his heart to allow the "love of reading" to take hold. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

12 comments:

Donna said...

Yeah, once a book "grabs" you...it's all over!lol I also had Shelfari!! But the darn thing would disappear and loose all my books. Don't know how to fix that problem!! And Happy Valentines Day Sweetie!!

Sally said...

I LOVE your new bookshelf, and share your love of reading. Until recently I didn't read the "scary" stuff. Patricia C. is one of my favorites. I've never read Stephen King, but now think I'll check him out. I just finished a book by Lisa Scottoline "Daddy's Girl". Wow! Kept me on the edge of my chair. She was once the director of The Mystery Writers of America. If you haven't read her books, I think you'll like her.

Happy Valentine's Day, Ms. Brenda, and I hope you and Jilly Beans are feeling better.

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Brenda,
"HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY"!!!! I'm glad you started a bookshelf and getting into reading like that. A reading spell hits me occasionally and when it does, I read like crazy. But it has to hit me first. LOL. I'm glad you are feeling better. When you have time, stop by. I have a Valentine's Wreath and Friendship Banner for everyone on my today's post. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

AndiePandie said...

I love SK, but haven't read that book yet. I'm having a little trouble with his post-accident books. I just don't think they have the same soul and grip that his pre-accident books have. One of my fav Koontz books is Odd Thomas.

I read all the "Child Called It" books (because I think there's three) and they were just so amazing. Amazing in the sense that it's hard to imagine someone actually doing that to another human.

Anonymous said...

I love the Shelfari! I will be looking into it, too. I haven't ever read Stephen King. Hubby has. I'm a big Agatha Christie fan!

Crystal said...

Oh girl I know exactly what you mean! Patricia Cornwells earlier Kay Scarpetta books did that to me!! Scared the pajeezus out of me and I was in my 20's home alone in the middle of the night with my two babies thinkin someone was fixin ta git me!!LOL! Memories, eh?? Hope your having a wonderful day!!!

Anonymous said...

I have always loved to read, and wanted my sons to love ireading too. My first son was always an avid reader. I had no trouble with him. But the second son didn't really want to read. I used to keep him supplied with Mad magazine. I didn't care what he read (within reason)just so he learned to enjoy it. In his case, it worked.

Good luck with Zach.

Cindra said...

I didn't know you were on Shelfari. I can't figure out how to put that darn shelf on my blog. When I have time I will sit down and figure it all out.

bichonpawz said...

Thanks for the shout-out Brenda! I LOVE Reading and will never, ever give it up!! The book you are reading now is mesmerizing. Oh the awful things that poor guy went through. All of his books are very well written. Glad you liked the "shelf"....

Anonymous said...

The Boy Called It and the others that he wrote are very good books to read. The arthur that got me started reading was Frank Pretti and Tim LaHaye. It took me 30 years to pick up that book that got me started my reading adventure. Sis, read some of Terri Blakstock as well. You and Mom were the readers in our house. I can remember you sitting up in the tree reading for hours at a time. You couldn't keep me still long enough to read or anything else when I was young. You know the story.

Love ya and miss ya!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember when you gave me King's Night Shift to read. The one with the hands with the eyes. That book scared the crap out of me. I sign anonymous because I can't remember my info on this blog.

love ya,
Paula

Special K said...

I love reading, and I have to admit I'm a bit condescending around people who admit they don't like it. They kinda piss me off.