Monday, February 04, 2008

All Male


This is Ya-Ya. He's my cockitiel and the 3rd male in our household (I'm pretty much outnumbered unless the girls are visiting). Ya-Ya is always learning new tricks, his latest is to start squawking the second he thinks he hears cookies or chips being opened cause he wants a bite of whatever snack is about to be consumed.

He hasn't learned to say anything yet, or if he has, he says it in "bird", not English, but I have learned to recognize some of his whistles and/or squawks so I can figure out what he wants, or what he's trying to tell me, most of the time.

He can hear the school bus when it turns onto our road, 7/10ths of a mile away, and he lets me know if someone has pulled into the drive. (he's my guard bird). I tricked him last week by buying a new phone, he's fooled me more than once by making sounds like the old phone made, so I wonder how long it will take him to learn this new ring. He can also make all the sounds the microwave buttons make when you push them.

I don't have to worry about forgetting to feed him or give him fresh water because he won't shut up until he gets your attention to let you know one or the other is empty.

And the little beggar hates for me to take a nap!

6 comments:

Karen H. said...

Good Morning Brenda,
I love the new look of your blog. You did a great job on it. I sure wish blogger had some more templates to use. I'm scared of using other templates because I'm afraid I will lose everything I have on there. Your bird is adorable. Will he learn to talk? I had an Aunt that used to have 3 or 4 of those kind of birds. She would talk to them like they were kids. LOL. Our daughter is better and she went back to School today. I'm not sick, just down in the dumps really bad. We are suppose to have some very bad severe weather today and tonight they say. They are even saying possible Tornadoes. I sure hope not. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Donna said...

What A Cutie!!! I've been tempted many times to get one of those...But I already had a cat and 2 dogs...Now it's down to 1 dog...Hummmmm.lolol LOVE the new layout!!

Meggie said...

Your Yaya sounds like quite a character. I had a cockatiel once that I taught to say a few different phrases including "abadon ship." It took LOTS of repetition....in a high pitched voice. My Archie was a love! What a beggar he is. While he sounds so cute I'm guessing it can be quite annoying when you want to take a nap...for me that's practially every day. I just wanted to take a little trip down south from my spot in western PA. It's been fun...thanks! I came by way of Tammy at Pink Magnolia.

Crystal said...

You'll have to keep us updated on if he gets the new ring tone down! Do you ever let him out of the cage?

Sally said...

Now, that's a thought; maybe I should get a Ya Ya. hahaha He's a cute little thing; they're sure smart little buggars. Yes, it'll be interesting to see if he learns the new ring, bet he will. :)

bichonpawz said...

Nice change on the blog template! Did you use Photoshop? Everyone is talking about it, but I have not yet decided to brave it! YaYa is very cute....and I bet he will learn the new ring! They can be very smart....my mom used to be able to teach our parakeets to talk. She was the only one that they would talk to.