Saturday, July 14, 2018

Every terror and tragedy in my life has come with a phone call.  My heart skips a beat every time the phone rings. 

The afternoon of July 29, 2017 was that way, my phone rang, I answered with, "what do you need?" because I saw the call was from Zach's phone. The reply was a hysterical voice that I couldn't understand at first. I finally heard, "Zach went down and didn't come back up!" I asked who was calling and became hysterical too when I heard her say, "He didn't come back up!" again. I think I asked where she was, where they were, I grabbed my purse and went outside and remembered he, Zach, had my truck. I called my neighbor and she was sick but was able to  drive me  to another friend's house in Lexa I begged and prayed that I had heard wrong, that it had to be a joke, "God, Please don't take him from me!!" That trip was SO LONG, I'm praying that Zach would be there with his little mean-ass grin when I got to the lake. I didn't call his mother, Jami, because I wanted to be sure of what had happened, what was going on before I did. My phone rang and it was Jami. Someone who was at Storm Creek Lake had posted on FACEBOOK that Zach had drowned. I told her I was on my way to the lake and I hadn't wanted to call her until I knew for sure.  She was hysterical and said she was on her way from TN. I begged her to please be careful!

We came around the last curve and the road  dropped down to where we could see the lake, I saw the boats, the ambulance, the police cars, and I died inside.

,,,,,,I can't do this all at once. I have to stop now and calm down. Writing about this is so hard but I think it's something I need to do but it's going to take me awhile.

 

2 comments:

Sally said...

I understand, Ms Brenda.

We are here for you, always.

xoxo

Jeanette said...

I'm sorry Brenda. I hope that writing this out will help with the healing, no matter how hard it is to do. We are here for you.