Thursday, January 08, 2004

As I read Mary lou's blog last evening, an incident involving my meeting with a rat came to mind.

I was very pregnant with Jami and looked ready to pop any second. I had no appetite and couldn't eat much during the day but in the middle of the night I'd get hungry and if I could get James up, I'd cook a nice breakfast at 2 a.m. or so. Most times he wasn't interested in getting up at that hour of the night so I'd go into the kitchen and pour myself a large glass of milk and have a Hostess Ding Dong (I think they call them King Dons now).

On this night, I poured my glass of milk and went over to the cabinet to retrieve my snack. When I opened the cabinet door there sat a big rat eating one of my ding dongs!! I let out a screech/scream and slammed the door. The door caught his tail so I could feel him banging against it and I wasn't about to turn the door loose in case he might touch me so I stood there dancing around like a mad woman who'd swallowed a large watermelon, screaming and cursing until James finally woke up and came to see what was going on.

As soon as his hand replaced mine on the door I was out of there like a shot and left him to defend my ding dongs with the knife he'd grabbed when he realized what he was up against. He sleeps in the nude so if I hadn't been so hysterical about a rat being in my house I'm sure I'd have found it very amusing to see a nude man chasing a rat around the kitchen with a butcher knife. However, at that moment, I was not interested in being amused.

He caught the rat somehow, I didn't ask for details, and spent several hours the next day crawling around under the house with steel wool to make sure there was no place that another creature could gain entrance. The next week, when he saw the chicken snake on an inside window sill, he never mentioned the intrusion. I only learned of that creature after they had built a new house and we'd moved into it. I no longer eat Hostess Ding Dongs (King Dons).

No comments: